In our Adult Bible Fellowships we have observed in Revelation that:
- We are to read Revelation as a complete narrative.
- The book was written to give hope, comfort, and purpose to persevere.
- Jesus is the Hero of the book.
We also observed the message to the 7 churches…
- Church at Ephesus (The church of misplaced worship) They did a lot … However, they were not focused on their love for Christ (Matt 22:37-40)
- Church at Smyrna (The church of strength) No word of criticism is given to this church. Instead, it was a message of “stay strong,” “be courageous.”
- Church at Pergamum (The church of false teaching) This letter is much more serious. There are good points for sure and part of the challenge is that they live in the dwelling of Satan. But some them were accepting things like eating meat offered to idols and sexual immorality.
- Church at Thyatira (The church of compromise) Very similar to the church of Pergamum
- Church in Sardis (Laziness) Wake up and live for Christ now.
- Church in Philadelphia (Keep going) Endure keeping God’s word even in suffering
- Church in Laodicea (Complacency) Repent of half-heartedness
As we think about the message to these churches, mostly the message is to repent and turn fully to the Lord or a couple to continue to endure in suffering…the message is also for us to heed the same truths and then apply it to our lives. Note all the exhortations in Revelation. Rev 1:3, 2:6-7, 2:11, 2:17, 2:26, 3:6, 3:13, 3:22
So in preparation for the next lesson of Revelation please read the section listed below and think about the following discussion questions.
- What is the motivation the text provides to obey all the exortations given?
- What word is repeated the most and what is the significance of that word?
- What is the proper response to being in the presence of God? Cf. Gen 17:3, Ex 34:6-8, Josh 5:13-15, Ezra 9:5, 10:1, Matt 2:11.
Pray that God’s living and active word would help us cultivate a greater love for Him and heed the words of this portion of scripture. Rev 1:3
Sign up if you would like to have the Faith Church ABF Series automatically emailed to you when posted: www.faithlafayette.org/abfseries.