The following lesson was taught in our children’s Sunday School classes on Sunday, July 17. We would encourage you to use the ideas below to review Sunday’s lesson with your family.
Jesus Defines Discipleship
Passage: Matthew 16:13–17, 21–27
Principle: The cost of following Jesus is denying oneself and following Him.
Praise: “Change My Heart, O God”
Prompt: Ask your child these questions:
- What did the Father reveal to Peter?
- What does it means to die to yourself, pick up your cross, and follow Christ?
Practice: Help your child apply these truths in the following ways:
- By denying himself, taking up his cross, and following Christ.
- By praising God that He will one day return and reward those who faithfully followed Him.
This Week: As a family, read selected portions of Matthew 16:13–17, 21–27.
Next Week: Matthew 17:1–8
Memory Verse: Then Jesus said to His disciples, “If anyone wishes to come after Me, he must deny himself, and take up his cross and follow Me.” Matthew 16:24*
* Preschool verse in bold print