In our Adult Bible Fellowships we have observed in our Study of 1 Samuel that Listening and Obeying God is more important than sacrifice. God takes disobedience and sin very serious, and has divine sorrow and also steadfastness. When we sin, we need to repent with depth and conviction due to the value God places on obedience.
- Obeying God’s word is an act of worship and is better than formal worship.
- A fear of man that trumps the fear of the Lord has dire consequences.
- Sorrow over sin is modeled by our God and should characterize his people.
1 Samuel 16 – God’s Choice
In preparation for our lesson on Sunday please read the section listed above and observe what stands out to you in the narrative. What stands out to you about God’s choice?
Also, please think about the following discussion questions.
- In what way have we seen God’s people not make wise choices in 1 Samuel?
- How do we tend to put too much stock in external appearances?
- God’s choices are often surprising. What about God’s choice for a Messiah is surprising? cf. Psalm 118:22-23, 1 Pe 2:4
Extra Credit: Read these verses in preparation for Sunday. Mark 1:10-13, Acts 14:21-22, Is 53:2-3, 1 John 4:19
Sign up if you would like to have the Faith Church ABF Series automatically emailed to you when posted: www.faithlafayette.org/abfseries.