In our Adult Bible Fellowships we learned in our bible study over the Gospel of Mark that:
- The book of Mark is a biography of Jesus…so it is good to ask what does the author want us to learn about Jesus
- The author writes to Roman Christians who grew up in unbelieving homes without the background of Jewish Customs and Scripture.
- Mark wrote to Christians in Rome to encourage and strengthen their faith.
Mark speaks to two main questions.
- Who is Jesus? (1:1-8:30)
- What does Jesus expect from those who follow him? (8:31-16:8)
So far we have seen that the Gospel of Mark answers the first question as follows
- Mark 1:1-13 = Jesus is Yahweh, God Himself Come to earth
- Mark 1:14-20 = Jesus is on a mission, to call people to repent and believe in the Gospel.
- Mark 1:21-45 = Jesus has authority over Satan and Sickness
- Mark 2:1-3:6 = Jesus has authority over Sin and the Law
Answer #5: Mark 3:13-4:34 = Jesus separates true followers from those who are fake.
So in preparation for ABF on Sunday please read the passages listed below and think about the following discussion questions.
- What is similar about Mark 3:20-21 and Mark 3:31-35
- What is Jesus family seeking to do and how does that compare to the Pharisees
- How does this section of scripture help you understand the Gospel better.
Sign up if you would like to have the Faith Church ABF Series automatically emailed to you when posted: www.faithlafayette.org/abfseries.