In our Adult Bible Fellowships we learned in our bible study over the Gospel of Mark that:
- The book of Mark is a biography of Jesus…so it is good to ask what does the author want us to learn about Jesus
- The author writes to Roman Christians who grew up in unbelieving homes without the background of Jewish Customs and Scripture.
- Mark wrote to Christians in Rome to encourage and strengthen their faith.
Mark speaks to two main questions.
- Who is Jesus? (1:1-8:30)
- What does Jesus expect from those who follow him? (8:31-16:8)
So far we have seen that the Gospel of Mark answers the first question as follows
- Mark 1:1-13 = Jesus is Yahweh, God Himself Come to earth
- Mark 1:14-20 = Jesus is on a mission, to call people to repent and believe in the Gospel.
- Mark 1:21-45 = Jesus has authority over Satan and Sickness
- Mark 2:1-3:6 = Jesus has authority over Sin and the Law
So in preparation for ABF on Sunday please read the passages listed below and think about the following discussion questions.
Mark 2:1-3:12 , Exodus 31:16
- Why do you think the anger from the religious leaders has increased?
- Why is it difficult for people to rest from their work? How does this rest help our relationship with God?
- Do you see any irony in Jesus actions and the Pharisees response? How do you see Jesus using His authority?
- What do we learn about the Sabbath and Jesus relationship to the Sabbath.
Sign up if you would like to have the Faith Church ABF Series automatically emailed to you when posted: www.faithlafayette.org/abfseries.