In our Adult Bible Fellowships we have observed in our Study of 1 Samuel that God’s choice is to be acknowledged and marveled at (Psalm 118:22-23). His choices are hopeful, wise, surprising and full of grace and at times irony.
- God’s choice is wise…we often make choices based on appearance (Gen 3:6) rather than the wisdom and fear of the Lord (Prov 1:7).
- Recognize that God tends to work in ways that we might initially think is foolish (1 Cor 1:25).
- God’s choice often involves using his servants to go through trials for His glory, but He will equip His servants and be with them.
1 Samuel 17 – God’s Honor
In preparation for our lesson on Sunday please read the section listed above and observe what stands out to you in the narrative. What stands out to you about God’s Honor and How is it going to help your walk with the Lord?
Also, please think about the following discussion questions:
- What do you observe in the contrast between David and Goliath?
- What stands out to you about the focus of David’s three speeches? How does this help you think about the Honor of the Lord?
- What stands out to you about David’s discussion with Eliab and Saul? How does Eliab remind you of Saul?
- How does what God has done in the past help you trust Him in the present?
Extra Credit: Read 1 Sam 2:1-10 and consider what in Hannah’s prayer helps us see truths played out in the David and Goliath story.
Sign up if you would like to have the Faith Church ABF Series automatically emailed to you when posted: www.faithlafayette.org/abfseries.