In our Adult Bible Fellowships we seek to grow closer to the Lord and each other. One of the ways we do that is by growing in serving others. This new series entitled, “Helping with Wisdom” will help you cultivate eyes to see the hurting and develop a heart of compassion that meets needs in a wise manner.
- Week 1: John 9 – Helping others is about seeing needs (and assets)
- Week 2: John 4:1-42 – Helping others is not about you
- Week 3: Acts 3:1-11 – Helping is not about hurting
- Week 4: Luke 10:25-37 – You can help… with God’s help!
- Week 5: Case Study
John 9 – Helping others is about seeing needs (and assets)
Here is an intriguing video of how we don’t always have eyes to see the hurting, even when we presumably should have eyes to see.
As you read John 9 and recognize that Jesus had eyes to see needs and then had compassion on them, please think about the following discussion questions:
- How would you respond to a person who would say “I see needs around me, but I don’t feel compassion. What’s wrong with me?” Is it possible to have compassion without deep feelings?
- How would you respond to a person who would say “I see people in need around me, but they’ve made so many bad choices. They don’t deserve compassion — they deserve rebuke and judgment and maybe even punishment. Perhaps that will wake them up!”
- How would you respond to the person who says “OK, I have compassion for this situation, I just have no idea what to do about it!”?
Extra credit: Matthew 9:35-38, Matthew 14:14, Mark 6:34, Luke 7:12-15, Luke 10:33, Luke 15:20
Sign up if you would like to have the Faith Church ABF Series automatically emailed to you when posted: www.faithlafayette.org/abfseries.