Did you describe something or someone as “awesome” this week? Why did you use this word?
What does it mean for something or someone to be awesome?
- Websters defines awesome as “1. inspiring awe; an awesome display of strength. 2. Characterized by or expressing awe.
What word do you see in this word? What does it mean?
- Awe – as defined by Websters – 1. Wonder and veneration somewhat mixed with fear. 2. Overwhelming admiration or appreciation.
Psalm 33:8 – “Let all the earth fear the LORD; Let all the inhabitants of the world stand in awe of Him.”
- Why would the Psalmist declare that the LORD deserves for us to “stand in awe” of Him? In verses 1-7, he is praising the Lord for the fact that he is the amazing Creator of everything! This is just a glimpse into His awesomeness so……
Let’s dig into a passage from the prophet Isaiah (Isaiah 40) that helps us get a glimpse of why we serve a God who can be rightly described as AWESOME!
God is awesome because He ….
- v1-8 – wants to clear away any obstacles that may block our ability to hear His Word.
- v9-11 – is still far above us even when we scale the highest mountains. It is hard for us to comprehend, but it is true that he rules with a “strong arm” but also cares for us like a shepherd with his other arm.
- v12 – is the Creator!
- v13-14 – has wisdom that is beyond any man’s comprehension!
- v15-17 – has absolute authority over all nations.
· v18-23 – cannot be duplicated. He is completely unique and all powerful. He can reduce rulers to nothing and we are like grasshoppers in comparison to Him!
· v24-26 – is transcendent above us. Yet…
· v27-31 – is also right here with us to give us strength every day!
This passage is just a mere glimpse of the awesomeness of God. Are you overwhelmed with the awesomeness of God? If not, you should be!
Think about your life. Do you see the awesomeness of God evident in your life? Share this evidence with someone this morning.
Put yourself in the prophet Isaiah’s place for a second and recall the glorious scene he describes in Isaiah 6 (recall last week’s discussion). Do you think it was a challenge to describe God’s awesomeness in light of such amazing revelations?
We have the Word of God (which will stand forever). This week in your devotional time, make a list of all of the ways you see God’s awesomeness in His Word. Lift prayers of thanksgiving and praise to your Savior!