The following lesson was taught in our children’s Sunday School classes on Sunday, September 25. We would encourage you to use the ideas below to review Sunday’s lesson with your family.
God Sends Isaac and Tests Abraham
Read: Genesis 17:15-17,19, 21; 21:1-8; 22:1-19
Ask your child:
- Who was Isaac? Abraham’s promised son
- Why did God ask Abraham to sacrifice Isaac as a burnt offering? To test Abraham and reveal the quality of his faith.
- How did Abraham pass the test? By obeying everything God told him, demonstrating that he loved his God more than anything else.
Emphasize this principle: God is faithful to His people. Therefore, we should give Him first place in our lives.
- Praise God for keeping His promises.
- Demonstrate love for God by obeying His Word.
- Cultivate love for God through Bible study, prayer, and service.
- Display the character of God to others by keeping your promises.
Sing: “Seek Ye First”
Prepare for Next Week: Read Genesis 25:21-26; 27:1-29
Memorize Sep 25-Oct 23: “For the word of God is living and active and sharper than any two-edged sword, and piercing as far as the division of soul and spirit, of both joints and marrow, and able to judge the thoughts and intentions of the heart.” Hebrews 4:12*
* Preschool verse in bold print