The following lesson was taught in our children’s Sunday School classes on Sunday, October 1. We would encourage you to use the ideas below to review Sunday’s lesson with your family.
God Chooses Jacob Over Esau
Read: Genesis 25:21-26; 27:1-29
Ask your child:
- What were the names of Isaac and Rebekah’s twin boys? Esau, who liked to hunt, and Jacob, who liked to cook
- Why did Esau sell his birthright to Jacob? Esau valued momentary pleasure over long-term treasure.
- How did Jacob get the family blessing? Jacob wore Esau’s clothes and put goat hair on his arms.
Emphasize this principle: God is in control. Therefore, we should trust Him and submit to his plan.
- Praise God for His sovereign plan.
- Obey God by following His Word and serving others.
- Trust God by patiently waiting on the Lord’s timing.
Sing: “God Is So Good”
Prepare for next week: Genesis 37; Genesis 39-50
Memorize Sep 17-Oct 8: “He who conceals his transgressions will not prosper, but he who confesses and forsakes them will find compassion.” Proverbs 28:13*
* Preschool verse in bold print