The following lesson was taught in our children’s Sunday School classes on Sunday, May 16. We would encourage you to use the ideas below to review Sunday’s lesson with your family.
John Prepares the Way for Jesus
Read: Matthew 3:1-17
Ask your child:
- What was John the Baptist’s message? Repent and prepare to receive the Messiah.
- Why wouldn’t John baptize the Pharisees and Sadducees? They didn’t believe they needed to repent.
- Why was Jesus baptized? Though Jesus was sinless, He was fulfilling the Father’s plan by demonstrating His willingness to be counted as a sinner.
- Emphasize this principle: God sent His Son. Therefore, we should repent and prepare the way for His work.
- Acknowledge sin and repent by trusting Jesus for salvation.
- Live to please God the Father on a daily basis.
- Share the hope of the gospel with others.
Praise: “Lord, Be Glorified”
Prepare for next week: Matthew 4:12-25
Memorize for May 9-May 30: “Be kind to one another, tender-hearted,
forgiving each other, just as God in Christ also has forgiven you.” Ephesians 4:32*