The following lesson was taught in our children’s Sunday School classes on Sunday, March 14. We would encourage you to use the ideas below to review Sunday’s lesson with your family.
God Judges Jeroboam
READ: 1 Kings 11:35-38; 12:1–33; 14:1–18
ASK YOUR CHILD:
• Who became leader of Israel after Solomon? Rehoboam
• What happened when Rehoboam increased the labor of the 10 northern tribes? The kingdom was divided into two nations—Israel and Judah.
• Who became leader of the new northern nation? Jeroboam
• How did Jeroboam sin? He led Israel into greater idolatry.
• What were the consequences of Jeroboam sin? His son died, his dynasty was ended, and Israel would eventually be exiled.
EMPHASIZE THIS PRINCIPLE: God blesses obedience and judges rebellion. Therefore, we should obey.
• Praise God for providing examples that warn and instruct us.
• Humbly obey God’s Word.
PRAISE: “Humble Thyself in the Sight of the Lord”
PREPARE FOR NEXT WEEK: 1 Kings 17:1; 18:17–46
MEMORIZE FOR FEB 28-MAR 21: “Give thanks in all circumstances; for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus.”
1 Thessalonians 5:18 (NIV)