The following lesson was taught in our children’s Sunday School classes on Sunday, February 16. We would encourage you to use the ideas below to review Sunday’s lesson with your family.
God Judges Jeroboam
Read: 1 Kings 11:35-38; 12:1–33; 14:1–18
Ask your child:
- Who became leader of Israel after Solomon? Rehoboam
- What happened when Rehoboam increased the labor of the 10 northern tribes? The kingdom was divided into two nations—Israel and Judah.
- Who became leader of the new northern nation? Jeroboam
- How did Jeroboam sin? He led Israel into greater idolatry.
- What were the consequences of Jeroboam sin? His son died, his dynasty was ended, and Israel would eventually be exiled.
Emphasize this principle: God blesses obedience and judges rebellion. Therefore, we should obey.
- Praise God for providing examples that warn and instruct us.
- Humbly obey God’s Word.
Praise: “Humble Thyself in the Sight of the Lord”
Prepare for next week: 1 Kings 17:1; 18:17–46
Memorize for Feb 9-Mar 8: “No temptation has overtaken you that is not common to man. God is faithful, and he will not let you be tempted beyond your ability, but with the temptation he will also provide the way of escape, that you may be able to endure it.” 1 Corinthians 10:13 (ESV)*
* Preschool verse in bold