The following lesson was taught in our children’s Sunday School classes on Sunday, December 23. We would encourage you to use the ideas below to review Sunday’s lesson with your family.
The King Is Born
Read: Matthew 1:1-2:12
Praise: “O, Come All Ye Faithful”
Ask your child:
- What does Jesus’ name mean? “The Lord will save.”
- Why did God come to earth as a man? Jesus came to save His people from their sin.
- Who were the magi? Scholars who were likely descended from Israelites exiled during the Babylonian captivity.
- What did the magi do when they came to Jesus? They worshiped Him and presented Him with gifts.
Emphasize this principle: Jesus is the Messiah. Therefore, we should rejoice and draw near to him.
- Thank God for sending Jesus to rescue sinful men.
- Worship and devote yourself to Jesus.
Prepare for next week: Read Judges 1-3
Memorize for Dec 9-Dec 30: “For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish, but have eternal life.” John 3:16*
* Preschool verse in bold