“Is it a fast like this which I choose, a day for a man to humble himself? Is it for bowing one’s head like a reed, and for spreading out sackcloth and ashes as a bed?” – Isaiah 58:5. As we corporately humble ourselves before the Lord on March 6, we desire to act in solidarity as one before the Lord. The schedule below may help facilitate our unity before the Lord. The schedule includes some individual time, family time, small group time, and church body time.
Families with children are invited to the small group gatherings. These gatherings are informal and parents can shepherd their children as required.
6:30 AM – 8:00 AM Personal Preparation (Individual Time at Home)
1. Read & Pray
- Exodus 34:27-28; Deut 8:1-20; note what our sustenance is (Dt. 8:3)
- Matthew 4:1-11; note how our Savior handled temptations.
- Psalm 119:1-16; the Word of God is our sustenance.
- Psalm 139:1-24; pray verses Ps. 139:23-24.
2. Drink water and clear juices.
8:00 AM – 12:30 PM (Church Body Time at Church)
- Exodus 32-34 (sermon); reflect on our tendency to depart from the way of God and His corresponding mercy. Be sure to focus on loving God by loving others today while at church.
12:30 PM – 1:30 PM (Personal Family/Individual Time at Home)
- Matthew 5:1-48, reflect on Jesus’ explanation of a heart that is truly righteousness.
- Ps. 32:1-11; Ps. 38:1-22; Ps. 51:1-19; reflect on true repentance and confession.
- Jeremiah 29:10-14 & Daniel’s application of Jeremiah 29:10-14 in Daniel 9:1-19; reflect on how we should handle our sin and what “seeking God” means.
- 1 John 1:5-10; reflect on true repentance and confession.
2. Pray and confess any known sin. Resolve to solve any personal conflicts with others.
3. Drink water and clear juices.
1:30 PM – 3:15 PM (Small Group Gathering Time at Host Family Homes)
1. Gather at a host family location. (Sign up)
2. Spend time getting to know one another if not everybody knows one another.
3. Read Scripture in time of praise and thanksgiving for Who God is and what He has done. Intersperse with testimony and prayers of thanksgiving and praise.
- Exodus 15:1-17
- 1 Sam 2:1-10 & Luke 2:46-55
- Psalm 23, 34, 47, 96-99, 103, 136, 145
- Isaiah 40:12-31
- Romans 8:28-38
- Eph 1-3
4. Pray for (Ps 121:1-8)
- Those sick and in great need in the church known by the group and the host family (James 5:13-18).
- Purity and holiness in the church, growth in Christlikness for the congregation (Phil 1:9-11).
- Church Leadership—wisdom in shepherding the congregation (I Peter 5:1-9).
- Church body to be a light to the community (Matt 5:16, 1 Peter 2:9-12).
- Glory of the Lord to be manifested through His Church (Eph 3:20-21).
- Provision and guidance for the Purdue Ministry Center (Prov 3:5-6; Ezra 8:23, Phil 4:6-7; James 1:5-8; 4:3; 13-16).
3:30 PM – 4:30 PM (Small Group Gathering Time)
1. Choose either to
- Gather at the PBF House (705 Evergreen Street, West Lafayette). Gather to prayer walk at Purdue. We will be petitioning God for a ministry center to serve the Purdue and West Lafayette Community with the Gospel of Jesus. Pastor Aucoin is leading this group.
- Gather at FCC Community Rooms 1 & 2 to prayer walk around our campus. We will be walking to the various facilities giving thanks for the abundance for which God has blessed us and the future ministry of FBC, FBCM, FCS, FBS, FCC, and VOH. We will also be petitioning God for guidance and provision for a ministry center at Purdue and Counseling Ministry Center here on this site (i.e. the top two identified priorities on our five year strategic plan).
Sign up at the bottom of the host family signup sheet.
2. Drink water and clear juices.
5:00 PM – 6:30 PM (Church Body Time at FBC)
- Attend Church Family Night.
- Initial breaking of the fast at the Lord’s Table.
- Close prayer time with corporate reading – Psalm 20:1-9; Psalm 66:16-20.
6:30 PM (Church Body Time at FCC)
- Fellowship and food as the fast is broken at the Faith Community Center. Be sure to have an orderly and righteous procession through the food lines : ).