In our Adult Bible Fellowship (ABF) classes this fall we will be studying the conscience. This ABF series is designed to help us biblically understand what our conscience is, learn how to train it and pursue unity in the body of Christ especially when our consciences differ.
This class is based on Andy Nasali and JD Crowley’s book, and it would be a great read to get the most out of this series. The series will be broken down just as the book is broken down.
- Lessons 1–2 describe what conscience is.
- Lessons 3–4 talk about how you should deal with your own conscience.
- Lessons 5–6 explain how you should relate to other people when your consciences disagree.
In the forward to the book, DA Carson states,
“A proper focus on conscience, especially conscience that is shaped and strengthened by Scripture, will incite us toward holiness, teach us what to do with guilt, drive us toward the gospel, draw from us something of the joy of the Lord, help the church to be a countercultural community, and even prepare us for cross-cultural missionary work.” –D.A. Carson
I hope you will join us in ABF for this series, and I hope more importantly you grow from it in such a way as to be biblically guided each day in your consience to the glory of God.
Some Passages to read in preparation for the first lesson
- Romans 1:19-20, 2:14-16, 14:5, 14, 22-23, 1 Timothy 4:2-3, Matthew 23:24, Acts 5:29, 10:9-16
Some questions to think about in preparation for the class.
- What exactly is the conscience?
- What should you do when your conscience condemns you?
- How should you adjust your conscience?
- How should you relate to fellow Christians when your consciences disagree?