Below is a review of Chapter 4 from John Piper’s book Suffering and the Sovereignty of God. The chapter examines a problem that many believers struggle with — Why would God allow his servants to suffer? Piper gives a few answers to why God allows suffering to happen. These are good answers to remember, put on your fridge, write in your Bible or place anywhere you need in order to remind yourself of truth.
Take some time to read through the reasons, look up the scriptures and ask yourself where you see God growing you in your suffering.
- Suffering Deepens Faith and Holiness– Hebrews 12:10
- Suffering Makes Your Cup Increase– 2 Cor. 4:17-18
- Suffering Is the Price of Making Others Bold– Philippians 1:14
- Suffering Fills Up What Is Lacking in Christ’s Afflictions– 2 Corinthians 1:5-6
- Suffering Enforces the Missionary Command to Go– Acts 8:1, 11:19
- The Supremacy of Christ is Manifest in Suffering– 2 Corinthians 1:9, 12:9-10
- Glad Suffering Shines Bright– Philippians 3:7-8
If you are interested in more on this topic you can buy the book from Amazon or Download a free PDF version.