Why did God even create anything anyway? There are a number of reasons we could give, but let’s start with the two most obvious reasons:
Reason #1: Because God wanted to do it. How do we know He wanted to do it? Because He did it – it was His sovereign choice. Psalm 115:3 makes that this very obvious: “But our God is in the heavens; He does whatever He pleases.”
Reason #2: Because He wanted to bring glory to the Godhead through creation. Consider the following verses:
- Isaiah 43:7 Everyone who is called by My name, and whom I have created for My glory, whom I have formed, even whom I have made.
- Isaiah 43:20 The beasts of the field will glorify Me, the jackals and the ostriches.
- Revelation 4:11 Worthy are You, our Lord and our God, to receive glory and honor and power; for You created all things, and because of Your will they existed, and were created.
The Impact on the Gospel
If God is the Creator, He is also the Universal Judge and the Moral Law Giver (i.e., He determines what is right and wrong). Evolution does not attempt to blot out any god, it simple attempts to kill the God of the Bible – not because evolutionists and materialists and naturalists did not like God as Creator, but because they did not want God as JUDGE. It is really simple: If you have no God of the Bible, then you have no righteous authority, and every man can do “that which is right in his own eyes” without guilt or consequences. In addition, if there is no God of the Bible, then I can live however I want to live; I don’t have to change, and I certainly don’t have to put up with the way other people treat me, nor do I have to worry about how I treat them. In short, I get to be “god” and make those decisions on my own. In essence, Evolution would love to ungod God – to reject God as the Judge and Moral Lawgiver and eventually as Savior, because in their view there is no reason for a savior. Since this has serious impact on the Gospel, it also carries over into the counseling process in helping people handle their trials and sufferings, or helping them to biblically respond to the sin with which they are struggling.
An Important Question
Therefore, the question is still asked, “Does it really matter which view you take?” Yes, not only for science but also for theology. Do you really want to say the Bible is wrong? Are you willing to reject verses like the following?
- Job 38:1-4 Then the LORD answered Job out of the whirlwind and said, “Who is this that darkens counsel by words without knowledge? Now gird up your loins like a man, and I will ask you, and you instruct Me! Where were you when I laid the foundation of the earth? Tell Me, if you have understanding.”
- Psalm 95:5 The sea is His, for it was He who made it, and His hands formed the dry land.
- Isaiah 40:26 Lift up your eyes on high and see who has created these stars, the One who leads forth their host by number, He calls them all by name; because of the greatness of His might and the strength of His power, not one of them is missing.
- Isaiah 44:24 Thus says the LORD, your Redeemer, and the one who formed you from the womb, “I, the LORD, am the maker of all things, stretching out the heavens by Myself and spreading out the earth all alone.”
- Isaiah 45:18 For thus says the LORD, who created the heavens (He is the God who formed the earth and made it, He established it and did not create it a waste place, but formed it to be inhabited), “I am the LORD, and there is none else.”
Something to Think About
Francis Schaeffer once said that if he had an hour to spend with a person on an airplane, a person who didn’t know the Lord, he would spend the first 55 minutes talking about man being created in the image of God. He would spend the last five minutes on the presentation of the gospel of salvation that could restore man to that original intended image. In the overall scheme of theology, Christianity begins in Genesis 1:1
Dr. Bob Smith, a retried physician, Co-Founder of Faith Biblical Counseling Ministries, Academy Member of the National Association of Nouthetic Counselors, and noted speaker for counseling conferences made this statement to me, “Science and the Bible will never disagree since the Creator of science (scientific facts) is the Author of the Bible. When they do disagree, it is because of the sin-cursed interpretations of the facts discovered by the scientist.” The bottom line is this: God is the Creator, and man is the created being. The curse of sin, which entered in by one man, affects our ability to think and reason and to respond properly to God’s authority. We must have a proper view of God and a proper view of man to bring glory to the One who is worthy of our worship, our praise, and our obedience, and is the reason for our existence.